First United Methodist Church
Sunday, December 10, 2017
Growing and Sharing our Faith in God

Church History

 Local UMC History

The Methodists have been in Chillicothe for over 150 years.

Early records establish Methodist preaching in Chillicothe in the 1830’s and 1840’s. The early Methodist Circuit, known as four week circuit, included the areas of Rome, Mossville, North Hampton, South Hampton, Blue Ridge, Lawn Ridge, Union, LaPrairie, and Chillicothe.

In 1852 the first parsonage was built at Beech and Third Streets and services were held at the schoolhouse in the public square. By 1854 plans were made to purchase a lot and build a church which was done by 1856. This church was west of the parsonage.

The church at Sixth and Chestnut was built in 1898 at a cost of $4,606.39. Seven years later the parsonage was built.

In 1950, extensive remodeling was done which included a larger sanctuary and new furnishings including a Hammond organ. In 1964 the education building was added. Five years later the Rose Traub Chapel was dedicated.

The Lavonna McDaniel property was purchased in 1987 and converted to a paved parking lot with a landscaped entrance dedicated in memory of Lavonna McDaniel.

An arson fire in 1988 resulted in a larger office area with room for computers and other office equipment. Later church additions included the wheelchair ramp, a handicapped lift, and memorial bench. A future addition includes the placement of the bell from the bell tower at the North end of the Church.

A year long celebration was held to commemorate 150 years of Methodism in Chillicothe. Events included honoring former ministers, a display of wedding dresses and pictures, and an old time worship service.

We look forward to being a vital part of the community for another 150 years!

-Taken from the First United Methodist Church of Chillicothe's member directory

History of The United Methodist Church  (Click here to see the UMC.org site)